Sunday, May 22, 2011

Vacation is over and I had a well desearved BLAST!

Well, I'm back home now after an amazing 8 days in Northern California.  There are a lot of things I could write about, but since I'm a romance writer and this blog is suppose to be about romance or writing, I'll focus on that...right after I say how amazing it was that I got to see my friend/critique partner Aimee again.  Even though we didn't get much time together, it was great seeing her and I have to ask, why is it that we always end up in a bar?  Especially since you don't drink?  I have never understood that!!!

Anyway, back to the romance.  For those of you that don't know me personally, I'm in my mid thirties and have been dating the same man for about 8 months, which is kind of a record lately since I tend to run them off. 

I'm sorry to say that this is the first time I've ever taken a vacation with a man for the express purpose of a vacation.  Let me tell you, it was interesting!  And I mean that as a good kind of interesting, not the bad kind.  To be honest, I really thought there was about a 30% chance of me coming back single.  However, everything worked out and there were no fights, tiffs, etc.  It was a great trip and I can't wait for the next one.  I did learn a few things I thought I'd share about vacationing with a man though, especially if it's camping:

1.  Men don't think about things us women have to do to feel feminine - like filing those nails that break or plucking the whiskers off our chins.  Even when you break down and explain it, they still don't get it.  So, you have to sneak away to find a mirror because they will not wait for you to pluck them in the parking garage.

2.  Don't bother trying to shave your legs in a shower that you have to feed quarters to get hot water.  No matter how diligent you are, you will forget to put a quarter in and scream when only cold water comes out. 

3.  Never point out the snake hiding in the leaves.  They want to make sure that you are not seeing things and are not scared of legless evil things.

4.  If you don't want to do that 5 mile hike - say so, especially if said man is in better shape than you.  I didn't have any problems with it, but I told him up front that it wouldn't be a race.  After all, I'm his girlfriend, not his adventure race partner. 

5.  Traveling with men is completely different than traveling with women.  I love my girlfriends, but after 5 days non-stop, we are usually ready to kill each other - especially if we have to share a bathroom.  Men are different.  Feed them, have lots of sex, be honest and you'll do just fine.

6.  Figure out what your man considers a "man thing" and let them do it.  Mine considered it the man's responsibility to start the fire.  Maybe it's left over from caveman days, who knows.  Just let them be the man - you'll be happier even if it requires lighter fluid.

7.  If you are not use to days of hiking, sex can be difficult, especially when your hips get sore.  Tell them the problem and they will find a way to fix it... ;D.

8.  Don't do everything for him.  If you're cooking, make him get the plates ready, tend the fire, something.  Make them feel involved.  It will be better for both of you.  Besides, we earned those equal rights.  Don't give them up!

9.  If you need a beer - get a beer.  Don't feel guilty if it's the last one.  Men know where to get more.

10.  And most important...Don't forget the smores.  Men like smores.  They like them so much that they will go out of their way to save a dieing fire and will destroy your can of Pam to do it (we hadn't gotten the lighter fluid yet).

Oh, and just FYI, here are a few things I learned about cooking over a campfire as well.

Cinnamon Apples are great.  All it takes is aluminum foil, sliced apples, cinnamon, and a fire.  And cooking eggs in citrus fruit is interesting.  It does not work in grapefruit, but it does in oranges.  It just takes 15-20 minutes and you'll get a lot of fly ash.

So take your man on a vacation.  Go camping.  Just remember to be yourself.  After all, there is a reason he's with you in the first place and don't worry, I have lots of new material for future books!

3 comments:

  1. Letting the guy do the man stuff rolls over into all parts of life when you start living together. I may use a drill better than he does, but god forbid I hang a curtain without asking him first, M<3 will get all offended!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Loved your vacation blog, Jackie! I'm so happy to see you back safely after a vacation that you truly had fun with!

    JH!

    ReplyDelete