Sunday, April 10, 2011

I'm hitting the reset button

There are reset buttons on almost everything.  So I figured why not hit the reset button on my career - my writing career that is.  Even though I've been writing for years, I'm still a newbie and frankly, with this ever changing market, I've been in hover mode, trying to figure out what to do.  I spent this weekend in a camper near a lodge a bunch of writer friends rented to escape our realities and as usual, I had a blast, but I'm still in a quandary on what to do with my career.

Then a sledge hammer hit me over the head (not literally) and I got it.  I actually GOT IT! 

Like most women, I listen to people, I gather opinions and do research.  This can be helpful, but it can also cause doubt - the kind of doubt that holds you back.  It can stop you from chasing your dreams or put a hold button on life.  My mother always said the only holding me back was myself, and I have to tell you, I HATE it when she is right!

The sledge hammer helped me knock some of that doubt away.  You see, 9 out of 10 times when I follow my gut, things work out for the best.  I may not get what I wanted, but I am happy.  The 1 out of 10 times, I usually fall flat on my face, but at least I learn something. 

It's time for me to follow my gut.  It's time for me to acknowledge the self-doubt and deal with it.  It's time for me to say 'Fuck it all' and chase my dreams.

So no more holding back professionally.  No more wondering 'Am I really doing the right thing'.  I'm going to follow my own advise and go for it. 

What does this mean?  This means the crazy, lovable, you can't believe I said that Jackie is back.  And everyone better watch out because I'm smiling!

1 comment: